Friday 29 April 2011

Spring pruning


This spring has been a challenge for those of us who long to be in the garden.  Spring's arrival has been in fits and starts. It's warm, it's cold, it's wet, etc., etc. 

When the weather is favourable, I get into my garden and tackle my spring pruning - especially the summer- and autumn-flowering shrubs.  Shrubs that flower in spring (such as lilacs) should be pruned after they flower, but summer-blooming spireas, butterfly bushes, Annabelle hydrangeas and viburnums should be pruned in the spring before they leaf out.

Since I have many varieties of spireas in my garden, I tackle them first. I use a pair of grass clippers for this job. By holding them upside down, the clippers are at the perfect angle to snip off last year's finished flower heads. I prefer my shrubs to have a natural shape (as opposed to a manicured form), so I prune lightly and only what is absolutely necessary.

Butterfly bushes and Annabelle hydrangeas are a completely different story. They need a heavy pruning in the spring. Both should be reduced to 8 - 12" from the ground. This means pruning into thick, heavy wood. I find the only tool that does this job properly is a good pair of secateurs.

The other important job that I do faithfully this time of year is inspect my viburnum shrubs. They are prone to an insect that quickly skeletonizes the new foliage. If in the spring, however, you check the twigs for bugs, you can prune them off before they hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment