Sunday 22 May 2011

Dill

I just finished planting my dill.

It can be started indoors or planted directly in the garden. I usually opt to plant by seeds outdoors. The wonderful thing about herbs, such as dill, is that their flavour is better when grown in poor soil. Rich, nutritious soil results in herbs that have less flavour. I work up the soil lightly and with a stick or my finger, I scratch a line in the soil about 1/4" deep, then sprinkle the small seeds in the trough.  I replace the soil and add water. Voila!

By mid-summer, the herbs are ready for harvesting. You can pick and use the leaves at this stage. Or, like me, you can pluck off the flower heads just as they have a hint of yellow, rinse them and place them on paper towels to air dry. Then, rolling them up in the same paper towel, stuff them in a zip-loc bag and put them in the freezer. When you bring them out to use, they taste as fresh and pungent as the day they were picked.

By doing this, I have the most important ingredient ready for the best-tasting veggie dip all winter long. My friends and family love it. Try it yourself and enjoy!

1 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
3 to 4 green onions (or a handful of chives)

4 to 5 drops tobasco sauce
3 or more heads of dill

1 garlic clove
Put all ingredients in a food processor and puree.

No comments:

Post a Comment