Monday 23 May 2011

Incredible Edibles

Well, here it is! It's finally here. May two-four weekend, that is!

This is the weekend that most of us put aside to plant the garden. If you have ever thought about planting a vegetable garden before, now is the time. Don't be intimidated! Believe me, it is so easy. As with many things in gardening, the most important aspect is preparation. Rototill or fork-over the soil, then add organic matter and nutrients. The organic matter could be peat moss or compost. The nutrients could be manure or slow-release fertilizer. Work all of these ingredients in evenly.

Now you're ready to plant your seeds or transplants in neat and tidy rows...well, that's the theory, but of course I don't do it that way. I plant most of my vegetables amongst my perennials, flowering shrubs, evergreens and annuals. So many vegetables are way too attractive to stick in the back corner of the yard.

It's hard to beat the fine, wispy foliage of asparagus. I plant it closer than recommended and have a large clump of it tucked behind a trio of peonies. The contrast in texture and shape between these two plants is beautiful all season long. And asparagus turns an amazing soft yellow colour in the fall.

And then there's rhubarb! Those incredibly huge leaves can rival any hosta and (best of all) it loves the sun. I plant it near my Golden Threaded False Cypress. Again, I love the contrast in texture between the lacy evergreen and the robust rhubarb.

I have a six-foot tall metal topiary that is topped with an armillary sun dial. Every year, I plant scarlet runner beans around the base. Within a few weeks, the beans are scrambling up the framework and are quickly adorned with bright orange/red flowers. The beans that follow are so delicious!

Swiss chard is another vegetable that you will find planted in clumps in my flower beds or urns. Its foliage is so glossy and healthy looking all season - right into the light frosts of fall.

This is just a sampling of the ways I incorporate vegetables into my landscape.

So this year, why not look at your vegetables with a new eye - look at them for their beauty and ornamental value. Have vegetables do double duty: look good and taste great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment